Remember the good ol’ days, chasing down the ice cream truck for a $0.25 Popsicle? Ah nostalgia – food trucks aren’t just for the kids at the county fair anymore, they are becoming a trendy fun way to feed your wedding guests! Madison has a variety of different food trucks that are serving up everything from classic Wisconsin cheese curds, to slow-cooked BBQ sandwiches, to gourmet mango empanadas. Yum! Here are a few things to keep in mind if you decide to use this catering option.
1. Venue Location:
- Is your venue outside? Think about how much space you will need for parking.
- Does your venue require you to use on-site catering? If not, make sure the food trucks are in accordance with permit requirements and local laws to avoid any liabilities.
2. Food Considerations:
- Consider the menu – will the food options appeal to the majority of your guests? Pick options that are straightforward and that everyone will love. Mini sliders are a classic and cute option! If there are any vegetarian eaters, make sure you have a choice for them as well!
- Will the food trucks provide utensils or do you have to provide your own?
- Who is responsible for clean up?
- Make sure you have enough food for everyone! This may require hiring a few trucks, depending on how many guests are at your reception. The extra help will also get the food out faster and avoid any long lines.
Here are a few local food truck favorites!
Curd Girl – Who does love cheese curds? Born and raised in Monroe, WI, owners and best friends, Kayla Zeal and Jessica Wartenweiler, know their cheese. Curd Girl food truck vends downtown on Broom Street and participates in Let’s Eat Out Madison on Monday-Wednesday nights. They also have catered private parties!
Curd Girl serves classic cheese curds made with Maple Leaf Cheese, rolled in a light beer-style batter and served with an assortment of dipping sauces – buttermilk ranch, cilantro aioli, and strawberry rhubarb.
Slide – Sticking with the all-American theme, what better than gourmet sliders and homemade potato chips to please a crowd! Slide also serves mouth-watering pulled pork BBQ sandwiches and pan-fried sweet potato slices topped with curry-garlic dressing and green onion!
Café Costa Rica – If you’re looking for an extra kick of flavor, try Café Costa Rica’s Caribbean food! Here are just a few of their delicious options.
Mango Man Empanada: Hand-pressed masa dough, folded over and fried with your choice of two fillings inside: Chicken, Pork, Beef, Beans, Cheese, Potato, or Spinach.
Curried Chicken: Tender chicken, slow cooked in the Mango Man’s famous homemade curry sauce.
Caribbean Tacos: Two open-faced tacos filled to the brim with your choice of pork, chicken, steak, or tilapia. Topped off with fresh lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, and splash of the Mango Man’s secet sauce. Served with Gallo Pinto and a slice of sweet fried plantain.